Friday, November 25, 2011

Friends

During your teens you start to really develop your music taste of what it was when you were a kid. For example I really liked Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears. When I was 14 that changed to Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins and Muse.

I'd say the critical turning point was the start of the Interpol phase. Because of that I was able to listen to 'difficult music', and dive deeper into the alternative scene.

About six years later I find myself being really into electro rock/pop, and people say that at some point you almost stop being into new music and stick to the old favorites. I don't know when that will happen, but I can say that nowadays there's so many new acts around that it's hard to keep up, and sometimes you get tired of anything new.

Part of my job is to be checking out over a hundred of music blogs and through that I've heard new music. The main reason, why I've checked out acts such as Zola Jesus (pure love), Lana del Rey and Neon Indian, is the massive hype. Of course I have to know what the fuss is all about.

A month ago an exception happened. I came across with a feature of this band called Friends. First of all I wasn't sure if it even was a band's name or something else. But what really grabbed my attention was the picture in it:


My first thoughts were; what is this overly retro thing going on..they look disturbingly odd in this, but still in a good way, wonder what kind of music they play..the girl on the right looks like a young Vanessa Williams..

It was written that Friends are the hottest band coming from Brooklyn at the moment, and that they might be the future of alternative music. Wow. It takes a lot to state something like that, considering how today's music is just a mimic of something else. Still I wasn't quite yet convinced to listen to a song of theirs.

Until I saw the the still image of their video I'm His Girl. In my opinion it's as interesting as their group photo. I'd actually want to know if that image was chosen by the band or YouTube. You might think what the hell am I talking about, but the colors and how some of the band members are placed in it was enough for me to have a look. Will you too? ->



You know that moment, when the first 30 seconds of the song tells you that you've perhaps found your new music crush? This was it. I've been waiting for so many years to hear something fresh and a band that could be added to the list of  'acts that played a big role in my music taste evolution'. I actually thought that there wasn't any hope for that anymore, but I guess I have to have an Obama face on now.

And I know I'm not the only one who says that the base line is sick and that the video is just way too cool. You'd have to be sitting next to me, so I could explain every single cool part of it. Anyone willing for that, let me know.

The rest of the day passed by with having the song and video on repeat. Earlier this autumn I stated that Anna Calvi's Suzanne and I is the best video I've seen. I almost took my words back, but then I realized that it isn't fair to compare these two videos, since they're way too different from each other.

Q: So are Friends Brooklyn's hottest band at the moment?
A: No. They're hipster world's hottest band (which will probably change soon into just world's hottest band, since Friends are too hyped for hipsters now).

Q: Are Friends the future of alternative music?
A: I'd rather say they're the alternative for the alternative. Cheers to that.

Q: Can you say screw Dr. Phil, because I'm His Girl's lyrics can be used as a foundation for any healthy relationship?
A: Yes.


Friends' second London, UK gig. (Click the link to get yourself a ticket, the first one sold out already, so be quick. Like me, leaving work early to get to the box office, since I still don't have a credit card).

No comments:

Post a Comment