Sunday, July 1, 2012

Friday Feature: M83


 When I started to ask my readers to suggest me music they like, a friend of mine recommended listening to M83's newest record. Hurry Up We're Dreaming is a double album of 22 songs, which has been praised in several music sites, most notably ranking 3rd on Pitchfork's Top 50 albums of 2011. Despite big time success in the blogosphere, I didn't take time to introduce myself in French musician Anthony Gonzalez' music.

Nowadays, there are just too many new bands and too little time to know them all.

Although, after getting a musical epiphany while listening to that mesmerizing album, I learned that M83 in fact is not new to the scene at all. Founded already in 2001 with former member Nicolas Fromageau, M83 is named after a spiral galaxy Messier 83. The music itself is linked to the shoegazing genre with its use of reverb effects and lyrics spoken softly over loud instrumentals.

Making a double album has been a dream of Gonzalez for a long time. About the sound and process of Hurry Up We're Dreaming, he says: "it was written like a soundtrack to an imaginary movie with different ambiances, different atmospheres, different tempos, different orchestrations and different instrumentation....When I make an album it's always about nostalgia, melancholy in the past and memories."

The album is mainly about dreams and how everyone is different. How you dream differently when you're a kid, a teenager or an adult.

This made me truly think about how the way I've been dreaming has changed throughout these years. As a kid I dreamt of being really good in all kinds of sports. As a teenager I dreamt of love. Now my dreams are more of a realist's thoughts than an eager optimist's.

Yes. I must resist of being completely swallowed into the dark side, while being inspired by the album, which you can listen here. Below are a couple of videos too, and please leave a comment on the comment section or on my Facebook page.


No comments:

Post a Comment